Friday, February 13, 2015

Shaker nightstand pt. 6

The last major step in the nightstand project was the drawer. I'd saved a piece of the beech with some figure (and tricky grain to plane) for the drawer front, a couple pieces of a wine crate 10mm thick for the sides and back, and a sturdy sheet of birch ply from another wine crate.



First I had to cut the beech to size at the workbench. In the closet I need to use a short toolbox saw. I probably should have resawn it a bit thinner, but wanted to deal with that flat grain as little as possible. You can also see some of the holes for hardware in the original piece. These I'm just going to live with, likewise the woodburn text on the plywood.


A nice toothing plane a friend brought down from Norway together with a card scraper took care of the funny grain on the drawer front.


The little plow plane got called into action for the drawer bottom groove.


Not the world's finest dovetails, but my first half-blind attempt, and I'm pleased with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment