Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Nail cabinet pt. 4

With the dividers done (but not yet nailed into the cabinet), there are a few different ways to proceed with this project. I could nail the battens on to the sides, thus making the "crate" and a face frame on which to mount the hinge for the door. I have some material for this, but I may diverge from the project description and practice my mortise and tenons for this part of the project.

All the drawer parts were looking tempting, however, so I figured I would try my hand at making a practice drawer.


Using a dozuki and my miter box at the cluttered workbench.


Shooting the end of the drawer front. This material is 15x43 planed spruce from the lumberyard. By happenstance a perfect dimension for this project. I then cut a section of the 43mm wide plywood strips I had to the same length.


Lacking any nails for the time being I just glued up the drawer and held everything with clamps.


It was a tight fit, maybe too tight. But a few passes with the block plane and a coat of beeswax solved that problem.


Today I found some small nails to secure the drawer sides. I predrilled all the holes with a tiny 1mm bit in a tiny eggbeater drill. Still I had problems nailing into the back, as the nails kept going astray. Hopefully I'll get better as I make more drawers! The hardware looks good, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment