Saturday, February 7, 2015

Shaker nightstand pt. 4

To make the top of the table I had to select two sections of the beech I'd salvaged to edge join into a large panel. The grain structure of the different pieces would have to be taken into consideration, and I would have to cope with not having any long clamps or pinch dogs.


First I edge jointed with my wooden try plane. This plane doesn't have the world's flattest bottom, so I was a bit concerned about this procedure, but this concern proved unfounded, the edges lined up perfectly.


To glue up the panel I improvised this solution using scrap pieces and my twin screw bench vise. I could have rigged something with wedges, but this worked pretty well.


To cut the panel down to size I took it back out into the living room and used my saw bench. Once it was down to size I could take it back into the workshop closet and plane the top and bottom and shoot the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment