Friday, February 13, 2015

A wooden "moving fillister"

My selection of both bench and joinery planes has some massive holes that need filling, so I was glad to find this wooden "moving fillister" plane at my favorite flea market for 15 kr. It was clearly missing a bunch of parts, but for the price I could improvise replacements, especially considering what a Veritas or a 78 with all the trappings costs. Mr. Schwarz recommends wooden models over the Stanleys, so this seemed like a steal. But it truly is an odd duck with an adjustable mouth and a chipbreaker. And that wedge without corresponding shaping on the plane body?


An old jigsaw blade will make a fine nicker, and I have brass sheet to make a depth stop and fence with.


More problematic will be the screw cap, since the wedge the plane came with doesn't even belong to this plane. And the adjustable mouth and chipbreaker (and plastic handles)? It turns out this is a "Howal Universalhobel" from East Germany, designed and sold as eight planes in one. Huh. I wonder what happened to its scrubplane blade.





No comments:

Post a Comment