Saturday, February 7, 2015

First impressions: Hultafors EDC chisel

While strolling through the hardware store the other day a new product caught my eye: The Hultafors EDC (every day carry chisel). The price was right, at about 100 kr, and I was lacking a 10mm chisel (about 3/8") so I figured it was worth a shot.


It comes in a smart holster, much like the traditional Swedish Mora knife popular with craftsmen. The coloful grips won it a design award aparently.



OK to hit it with a hammer!


As you can see, the blade is just basically stamped/forged out of 4mm sheet "Japanese carbon steel". Alarmingly, the back of the blade was coated with some sort of black paint as well as the top!


After some lapping it appears that I will be able to give it a good edge. I'll report later on its effectiveness.


For comparison with a traditional Mora knife and a "chisel knife" I found this summer. I like the fact that Hultafors is trying to sell the idea of a chisel as being a must-have tool to hang from the belt, alongside a Mora knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment