Friday, September 18, 2015

Small bookcase pt. 3

With the simple casework completed, it is now time to start chopping stopped dadoes for my shelves.


I matched the case sides and marked them together so that the shelves are guaranteed to line up.


I stopped the dado 15mm from the edge of the case. I don't plan to put a face frame on this piece, and wanted the shelves to appear to be floating.


After marking the edge with the knife, I relieved a wedge shape of waste on the inside with the knife.


I marked the depth of the cut with my router plane, and then sawed down to that depth with the dozuki.


After getting one edge of the cut started, I used the shelf itself to mark the opposing side.


The other side got the same treatment, and the dado's end is defined with the chisel.


First I hog out most of the waste with a chisel.


And then clean up the bottom of the cut with a little router plane.


The shelves need a small relief to fit into the dado. I define the shoulders with a chisel, and relieve the edges a tad with a plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment