Friday, September 18, 2015

Small bookcase pt. 2

After getting all my stock to width, I had to cut the legs and top to length. I used a regular old utility knife to prepare a knife wall for the saw to run in. Despite the width of the cut, I did it with my dozuki. I wanted to use as few and as simple tools as possible for this project.



I even decided to forgo a bevel gauge, and instead drew my 1:6 dovetail on the CAD drawing made on my Android phone (using the awsome Inard CAD app). I then printed the drawing and glued it on some scrap card.


The dovetails were laid out in pencil.


Sawing the tails with the dozuki saw.


I tried drilling out the waste, to reduce time and noise spent chopping. There was some blowout, so I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you deeply score your waste lines with the knife first.



Whoops! But this was easily fixed, I just made the tail smaller. 



To mark the pins, I set it up like this and used the knife.


When it wouldn't reach I took the blade out and used it by iteself.





Chopping out dovetails is a loud, concussive endeavor for doing in an apartment. Maybe a coping saw would be better here... 




I bevel the backside of the tails to make mating the tails and pins easier.



In situ.

No comments:

Post a Comment