Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Small bookcase pt. 8

For lateral strength, this project has until now relied almost entirely upon the strength of the joints. Given the thickness of the timbers and the cabinet's projected use, this isn't much of an issue, but it is something to consider in furniture design. Since the upper cubby now features a door, it only follows that the cubby should also be provided with a back, securing its contents and simultaneously adding a bit of rigidity to the structure.


I had an offcut of some 3.5mm birch plywood that fit the bill, and used a cutting gauge and my router plane to get the job done.


I marked off the thickness of the recess into which I would insert the plywood on the back.


And extended the cuts to the edge with a knife and square.


Setting the router plane at just over the depth of the plywood, I then used it to mark the depth of the recess.


And just pared down with a chisel.


And then cut everything to a uniform depth with the router plane.


I set the corner of the plywood in the recess to mark the size.


And laid out my cuts with a drafting square, because that's what I had in the apartment. Drat! opportunity missed to use the Schwarzian layout square.


Again, just using the dozuki here to cut to the line.


I set the panel in backwards to mark approximately where the nails should go.


I predrilled with a little 1mm bit in a removable chuck in my screwdriver.


And nailed it in place. I didn't have a nailset handy, so that will have to wait.


Back in place, with the door, still awaiting a hinge.

No comments:

Post a Comment